Teaching/ Child Care/ Teacher Aid
High school or equivalent (Required)
Driver's License (Required)
Early Childhood Education: 1 year (Preferred)
Childcare: 1 year (Preferred)
Child Development Associate Certification (Preferred)
OHIO HEARTLAND COMMUNITY ACTION COMMISSION
372 E. Center Street
P.O. Box 779
Marion, Ohio 43301-0779
Phone (740) 387-1039
Toll Free: (877) 241-3427
FAX: (740) 387-8006
POSITION TITLE: Associate Teacher
DEPARTMENT: Head Start
REPORTS TO: Lead Teacher
PRIMARY WORKSITE: Marion
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
DURATION STATUS: Full Time / Seasonal
PAY GRADE: Grade 1
DATE REVISED: July 2019
BOARD REVIEWED: September 2016
Assist the Lead Teacher in all phases of classroom operations and assist the Bus Driver on the bus when functioning in ratio. The Associate Teacher will assist in the implementation of the daily lesson plan, the evaluation of the effectiveness of child development activities, the supervision of parent volunteers, the safety and physical well-being of the children, the effective operation of the center according to the Head Start Performance Standards and the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services Child Care Licensing Rules, and regular communication with parents
Associate Teachers will be evaluated using the results of Classroom observations, The Creative
Curriculum Fidelity Tool, CLASS scores, results from the SUTQ/Licensing observations and the
Center Checklist. Associate Teachers will ensure a positive approach towards staff development is maintained through team involvement and communication.
1. Assume temporary responsibility for the classroom in the absence of the Lead Teacher.
2. Must match the name of the child on the Bus Attendance sheet to the face of the child when receiving the child onto the bus and when accepting the child from any Head Start staff person.
3. When riding any bus, count the number of children that have been picked up and match the count with the other staff person on the bus prior to leaving the bus and/ or the parking lot.
4. When receiving the child from the center, initial in the Pick Up Staff’s Initials Received column of the Bus Attendance sheet and complete a name to face match of the child.
5. Maintain complete control of the bus cell phone while the bus is in operation and refrain from texting or talking on personal cell phones while the bus is in operation.
6. Encourage and support families working with their own children and classroom volunteers.
7. Work in cooperation with classroom team members.
8. Complete and update first aid, communicable disease, child abuse training, OSHA regulations,
CPR and other training deemed necessary by the program administration.
9. Report any cases of suspected child abuse or neglect to the Lead Teacher, Children Services,
Social Service area staff, the Education Supervisor and the Intervention Manager (IEP children only).
10. Maintain confidentiality of staff, children and family records at all times.
11. Adhere to OHCAC agency personnel policies and procedures and all written agency policies.
12. Supervise and ensure the safety and well-being of the children at all times, being alert for the needs of the children as a group and as individuals.
13. Meet and plan with staff for implementation of Individual Intensive Intervention plans.
14. Generate and record in-kind donations of time, space and materials.
15. Provide and promote a caring, nurturing and positive environment while maintaining positive relationships in the center for children, families, staff and volunteers.
16. Develop relationships with children and families that promote positive social emotional development utilizing techniques from the Conscious Discipline program.
17. Contribute to activities which promote the Creative Curriculum philosophy, Teaching Strategies
Gold Assessment, ODE Early Learning and Development Standards, Step Up to Quality and the
ODJFS Licensing rules in the classroom.
18. Contribute to child care routines that are performed in a manner that is prompt, hygienic and consistent with child development principles, including head checks, hand washing, tooth brushing, mealtime and transition between activities.
19. Fully participate in and contribute to healthy family style meals including retrieving and returning dishes and food, setting and serving meals following USDA and Head Start Performance
Standards, Health Department Standards and the ODJFS licensing rules. Sit, eat and interact with the children to role model appropriate behavior at all times.
20. Record Anecdotal notes throughout the year regarding the development of the children.
Complete and submit the Teaching Strategies Gold Assessment information continually to the
21. Assist in the classroom, on the bus, screening or other needed areas as required by the director, supervisor or manager. This includes using personal car for work related errands including transport of food.
22. Contribute to the responsibility of operating the program in full compliance with all Ohio
Department of Job and Family Services Child Care Licensing Rules, Step Up To Quality and
OHCAC Head Start rules and Head Start Performance Standards.
23. Operate the center in full compliance with the Ohio Heartland CAC Head Start Child Positive
Behavior Support Policy that prohibits corporal punishment.
24. Actively promote the Head Start program in the community and recruit families year round.
25. Transfer of site assignment when necessary for the operation of the program when management feels it appropriate.
26. Will be required with prior notice to work flexible hours outside the normal 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. workday on occasion in order to adhere to and stay in compliance with regulations stated within the Head Start Performance Standards.
27. Due to program needs, least senior employee in a position must accept Re-Call from Seasonal
Lay Off or unemployment will be terminated and discharge will follow.
28. Will assist the Bus Driver on the bus while in ratio.
29. When required will assist Early Head Start by providing staff breaks and other necessary duties.
30. On Fridays will report to the Marie English Center doing janitorial aide duties. specified by the
Education Supervising Manager.
1. Demonstrate flexibility and ability to handle multiple tasks and changing priorities.
2. Attend staff meetings.
3. Contribute to the implementation of Creative Curriculum and to the planning and evaluation of
Teaching Strategies Gold Assessment towards School Readiness Goals in the classroom.
4. Contribute to keeping classroom, storage room and bathrooms clean, neat and orderly.
5. Contribute to home visits, under the supervision of the Lead Teacher.
6. Perform any duty as assigned in order to meet or stay in compliance with state and federal regulations.
7. Contribute to completion and dispersal of appropriate paperwork as required.
8. Obtain approval for absences, late arrivals and early departures from supervisor.
9. When absence is necessary, you must notify your Education Supervisor at least one hour before your scheduled work time. You must speak directly to someone. Phone messages are unacceptable. If unable to contact your direct supervisor, contact the Child Health and Education
Director at 740-751-2510.
10. Check mail boxes twice a week and e-mails daily.
11. Required to have Time & Mileage entered electronically on a weekly basis according to your
Education Supervisors schedule.
12. When requesting time off it is to be done ahead of time and submitted to your Education
Supervisor for approval, unless it is an emergency or unexpected. You are required to submit an
Employee Action form for any length of absence from required work time
13. Must be willing to travel within Crawford, Marion, Morrow and Richland Counties.
1. The Head Start Associate Teacher is accountable for the safety and well-being of the children at all times.
2. The Head Start Associate Teacher is accountable to the Lead Teacher.
3. Current Associate Teachers must be continuously enrolled at the University of Cincinnati for on-
line classes or be continuously enrolled in an equivalent program that leads to their Child
Development Associate in order to obtain their Child Development Associate Credentials within 18 months of beginning employment.
4. Current Part time/Full Time Associate Teachers and On-Call Associate Teachers that do not have their CDA within the required time frame and plan to go to or stay On-Call will not be able to substitute in any Temporary long term capacities.
5. Current and Newly Hired On-Call Associate Teachers that plan on applying for a regular position if the opportunity arises, will be required to contact their Education Supervising Manager after 90 days, in order to be enrolled in the CDA Program, This is a yearlong commitment of being continuously enrolled with the University of Cincinnati CDA Program.
6. Once CDA workshop modules are completed, staff will complete and submit a TEACH scholarship application for payment of CDA credential.
7. Once an Associate Teacher receives their CDA credentialing, they are required to work for
OHCAC Head Start according to the contract signed with the agency.
8. Once verification of an earned CDA credentialing has been received by the Education Supervisor, an additional 5% will be added to the hourly wage.
9. If at any time a hired Part/Time or Full/Time Associate Teacher drops a CDA class or fails to be continuously enrolled, termination may result upon approval by the Executive Director of
OHCAC.Tuition repayment will be required. Accumulated Annual Leave will be used to re-pay tuition costs to the Agency for failure to be continuously enrolled in the required CDA credentialing program. A contract will be signed to that affect.
10. Within eighteen months of hire (depending on the date of hire and the CDA Program start date with the University) Associate Teachers will be expected to receive their CDA.
11. Associate Teachers are required to renew their CDA when it is due in order to stay employed with
OHCAC Head Start.
12. Video and audio recordings will be made during Head Start activities and observations and will be used for public relations, professional development, training and/or possible disciplinary action.
1. High School Diploma or G.E.D. required.
2. A Child Development Associate credential must be obtained within 18 months of hire.
3. Must be able to respect confidentiality.
4. Must be able to work independently with initiative, creativity, and without constant supervision.
5. Good oral and written communication skills preferred.
6. Computer skills preferred.
7. Must be flexible and able to work with a diverse population.
8. Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals preferred.
9. Ability to compute rates, ratios, and/or percentage preferred.
10. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
11. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk; hear; and smell. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Must be able to move quickly to retrieve a running child.
12. The employee is occasionally required to climb or to balance.
13. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds on a daily basis.
14. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
15. Must be able to clearly see the entire classroom.
16. Due to insurance regulations, must be at least 18 years of age.
17. Must possess a valid Ohio Driver's License and carry up-to-date vehicle insurance to be permitted to drive on agency premises or while conducting agency business.
18. Must have ready access to a drivable vehicle.
19. Must show courtesy and respect to staff and customers at all times.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise.
I have read this job description and I understand the requirements of this position and agree that I can perform the above listed functions.
Ohio Heartland Community Action Commission has in effect a clean air/smoking/tobacco use policy which prohibits smoking or use of tobacco products in all offices and on or in any agency owned or agency occupied properties or vehicles. This policy applies to ALL Ohio Heartland Community Action Commission staff, regardless of program.
EFFECTIVE DATE: JULY, 2002 OPERATIONS / JOB DESCRIPTION REVISED: March 2019
We are a Drug Free and an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $11.10 - $11.66 per hour
This Job Is:
Company's Facebook page:
Pioneer Career and Technology Center
27 Ryan Road
Shelby, Ohio, 44875
Connect With Us...