Who We Are…
Guided by a single mission “To reduce recidivism among those we touch,” the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction believes that everyone is capable of positive change. Our staff embrace these core values and serves as role models for pro-social behavior conveying an attitude of dignity and respect in the treatment of others.
What We Do…
The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction has been tasked with front line crime reduction through rehabilitative treatment and programming efforts provided in a safe, secure and humane correctional environment and effective community supervision. Our goal is to protect the public through helping individuals turn away from crime and become productive, contributing members of our communities, ensuring a safer Ohio for all Ohioans now and in the future.
To learn more about our agency, please visit our website at www.drc.ohio.gov
Are You Ready?
We are thrilled to see that you are interested in beginning your career with the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction! Without a doubt, this will be the most rewarding and meaningful work you’ll ever find with a work family that is second to none!
The Correction Officer responsibilities include:
- Maintaining control of the institution to provide for safety and security of the facility, inmates, staff, and general public by enforcing rules/regulations/policies and procedures
- Supervise and direct inmate activity in assigned areas of the facility/institution
- Assuring assigned area is clean, safe, and secure
- Monitoring and operating security controls, equipment, and computers
- Operation of automotive vehicles in perimeter security and the transportation of inmates
- Conducting inmate counts, security rounds, and searches
- Completes required reports and serves on committees
- Prevents escapes or incidents which threaten security
- When necessary, uses physical force, unarmed self-defense, firearms, or other force to detain or secure inmates
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply on-line through this posting website. (We no longer accept paper applications.)
When completing your on-line Ohio Civil Service Application, be sure to clearly describe how you meet the minimum qualifications outlined on this job posting.
We cannot give you credit for your qualifications, experience, education and training in the job selection process if you do not provide it in your on-line application.
You can check the state of your application by signing into your profile on this website.
We will communicate with you through the email you provided in your profile and job application. Be sure to check your email often.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for the application process, please contact the Human Resources Office so proper arrangements can be made. Otherwise, you will be given specific instructions on requesting an accommodation if you are invited to an assessment.